Monday

February 2012 Bar Exam -- Quick Start Guide


 At the beginning of each bar exam cycle, I like to re-post a revised and updated version of my Quick Start Guide.  This post provides a summary of what I believe are the most important and helpful posts on this blog.

In my opinion, the bar examination is a test that is as much about your state of mind as it is about how much and how well you have studied black letter law. It is my belief that you need to understand yourself and figure out how to remain calm during the preparation and test-taking process. You need to understand the process of diligent preparation for the act of taking the test before you can study appropriately to learn the information needed to pass the bar examination.

Recommended Reading:

I recommend that you read my posts about general mental preparation before you read the posts about studying for particular segments of the bar exam.





First, read my posts on (1) diligence, (2) anticipation of conditions, and (3) stress reduction. I suggest that you digest the contents of these posts for a week or so before reading anything else.





Second, once you have begun to implement the ideas and suggestions contained in these three posts on mental preparedness, read the posts about studying for the discrete segments of the bar examination: (1) MBE study and test tips, (2) essay writing tips, and (3) performance test tips. (Also, if you are taking the Oregon bar exam or the California bar exam, you might want to check out my Oregon bar exam outlines or my California bar exam outlines.)

Third, be sure to read my posts about why practice tests matter and lessons learned from analyzing the reasons someone failed the bar exam.  If you are feeling overwhelmed just by reading this "quick start" guide or because you have just started studying for the bar exam, you should read my post about how the feeling of being overwhelmed will subside as you work your way through your bar exam preparations.

Fourth, consider purchasing my strategy guide for how to deal with bar exam stress, anxiety and fear.

Finally, a few weeks before the start date of the bar exam (and before you make your hotel reservations), I suggest you read my post about how to make the actual test-taking experience a successful one.

Thank you for reading and good luck!




[Photos by ricardo.martins and DAEllis.]

3 comments:

Test Taking Incentives said...

Great post with some great recommendations. My son has been really stressed out over the Bar, I'll send him to your website.

Bar Advisor said...

Great. Thanks for the kind words. Good luck to your son.

Seema Desai said...

Useful exam tips and increase your concentration and interest in studies. Simple and effective techniques which we know but we often don't implement it in our study technique.
http://examtips4u.blogspot.in/

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009-Present Eclectic Esquire Media, LLC. Powered by Blogger
Disclaimer/Terms of Service
Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan